1 pound auctions BOT OR WHAT ??

Kitten

1 pound auctions BOT OR WHAT ??

Post by Kitten » 1 month ago

Ok, I want to know what is going on with the £1 auctions. Continuously a certain person by the initials SW, is bidding outrageous amounts on items, I mean rings that normally go for maybe £10, his or her bid is £60. Even seen the person bid over and over on the same item. This person is either totally rich or a bot. I give up on this site. No one has a chance of getting anything.... :? :shock: Goodbye TJC, was fun while it lasted!!

Topic Tags:

goldie

Re: 1 pound auctions BOT OR WHAT ??

Post by goldie » 1 month ago

I absolutely agree that bots are used. I used to think that it was bidders who just wanted to stop other people buying but it’s just too predictable for that and absolutely NO ONE would be prepared to give up that much of their time and show no sign of getting bored with it. It’s the same initials all the time. The rot really set in when the full names were removed although there was some before that and then they stopped showing previous bids . All this was done in the name of making it more user friendly. Not for me it’s not. It’s not worth the trouble now.

goldie

I believe it’s called shilling but maybe someone more tech savvy than I am would know more.

Cazzie

Post by Cazzie » 1 month ago

Yes you used to be able to get some bargains on the £1 auctions but not any more sadly. And postage is too high for more than 1 item. Who would pay £7.99 a month for unlimited "free" postage ? How much jewellery can you buy? Unless you're a dealer of course.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » 1 month ago

Hi All. Excuse my ignorance but what do the initials b.o.t. mean. As far as the auctions are concerned. I look, make my top bid and if it's outbid I don't get into a bidding war and yes, I would agree the final prices are getting higher. Is there the possibility that with lockdown some people have too much time on their hands, are bored but have a bit more money to dispose of? Have to admit I've often thought some repeating initials are traders, but it's usually the lower in quality items they are going after. If I've offended anyone with this comment, please accept apologies as I don't mean to offend.

goldie

Hi, If you google BOTS IN AUCTIONS or SHILLING that will explain it.

ladybug

Post by ladybug » 1 month ago

Thanks Goldie will do.